sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Logfiles in KDB/ ?

From: Dan Egli
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Logfiles in KDB/ ?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:53:35 -0600

Jan Kesten wrote:

Hi Chris!

| These are db logfiles - mostly transactions, I think. I'd have to
go back
| and read what all goes in them.

I thought that it is something in this kind :-)

| db_archive | xargs rm
|     will delete the ones that it's safe to nuke.

Argh! It seems that my DB got corrupted:

db_archive: Ignoring log file: log.0000000002: unsupported log version 7
db_archive: Ignoring log file: log.0000003491: unsupported log version 8

You have 2 versions of the Berkley libs installed. Are you running by chance Fedora core 2? Fedora by default installs a 4.2.x AND a 4.1.x version of DB. Remove the compat libraries. I dealt with this too. To fix this what I'd recommend is that you download and compile db 4.1.25 (or a later 4.1.x version), compile that, and run db_archive from THAT folder. That will (I believe) the v7 log files. You can run it from a separate folder and still remove the correct log files with a command like this from bash:

for f in `./db_archive -h /var/sks`; do rm -f /var/sks/$f; done

ignore the errors. Then be sure you have removed ALL db 4.1.x utilities, and run the db_archive left on your system to remove the v8 libraries.

I read in the archives and this seems to be a DB problem, db_recover
also doesn't help. Trying to start sks gives something like this:

sks db
Fatal error: exception Keydb.Unsafe.No_db

Looks like that I have to get a fresh keydump and start a new sks
server :-( I know it was around here some times ago, but what about
switching to a SQL database like postgresl? I think here in my case
an update of db3.x/db4.x or so might be the reason why sks' db
crashed. I took a look and found a ocaml interface to postgresql but
I'm not good enough in ocaml to implement it for a test.

there's a possible fix for that without recreating your DB.

after removing ALL db 4.1.x files, change to your sks home dir and run this:

db_recover -h KDB
db_recover -h PTree
sks cleandb

It has fixed that problem for me more than once (the Keydb.Unsafe.No_db error).

--
-- Dan