sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks not serving robots.txt?

From: Olaf Gellert
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks not serving robots.txt?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:40:34 +0200

David Shaw wrote:
> While this should certainly be up to the server admin (via robots.txt
> or otherwise), I'm rather amused by the the idea of one or more of the
> big search sites indexing the strong set.
>
> It would be interesting to be able to search for "john doe pgp key" or
> the like, and get pointed to the right place.

We had someone crawling over our HKP server (blackhole.pca.dfn.de)
in January or February this year. Because the host is already
quite slow, this had a remarkable impact on the performance (so
it was nearly a DOS attack). So having a robots.txt is definitely
a good thing (then you can at least blame the robot owner).

Recently we have seen another interesting scenario: Encrypting
email gateways initially try to fetch a key for every email
that is sent out (to be correct: for each recipient). They
seem to cache these keys or the information, that no key
existed for a recipient), so this storm of queries settles
down after a few days. In Germany the big car manufacturers
(Daimler-Chrysler, VW/Audi) seem to demand that their
suppliers use these gateways, so we expect increasing traffic
like this in the next years...

Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Consultant,                              Consulting GmbH

                        A daily view on Internet Attacks
                        https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet