sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Big keysigning?

From: Teun Nijssen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Big keysigning?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:48:58 +0200

Hi,

> Looks like there was a (few?) big keysigning party today. :)

> Time  New Keys        Updated Keys
> 2004-07-27    902     6210
> 2004-07-26    323     806
> 2004-07-25    204     477
> 2004-07-24    176     276
> 2004-07-23    335     289
> 2004-07-22    312     290
> 2004-07-21    350     351

well, perhaps not. After quite some delay, last week I started in earnest
setting up the new minsky.surfnet.nl SKS server. Its characteristics are:

- dedicated SKS server
- 1 Gb/s Internet connectivity
- hopefully professional system management including Nagios monitoring
- HP Proliant server with 4 70 GB disks in a Raid 5 array; with hot standby
- ample memory
- Debian

I loaded the server with a recent dump from http://pgpkeys.telering.at/public/
The full build (not fast build) took a couple of hours; I like the disk
subsystem performance. With this setup I started recon with Jason.

For many years I have been running a horowitz pks keyserver as well as a
NAI cserv keyserver. The cserv is interesting as it has for a long time
been configured in PGP 5 (and later) as one of the default servers in the
software distribution. It is also a server that never 'mangled' keys and
still receives connections of about 25k different IP addresses every month.

I am now slowly extracting all keys from the cserv server. I will feed
them into the SKS network in the coming period. Many keys do not lead to
updates, but quite some do. Apparently the synchronisation kludge that I
had between pks and cserv has dropped some stuff over the years. So far
I only loaded stuff that was initially loaded between 1999 and 2002 (and
a small part of that).

I am open to as many gossip partners with well managed servers as people wish.

cheers,

teun