sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page

From: Sacha J. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:17:46 -0500

Along the lines of stopping abuse, and this may be the wrong forum for this
discussion, but has anyone thought about a fair and hard to abuse method of
removing keys from the keyserver network?

A simple case is that it might be nice to be able to remove key FF770E13,
which is an old key of mine that I no longer have the private key to.  A
more pertinent example might be a key used to distribute illegal /
inappropriate content.

The biggest problem I see is if someone was to put a key on the network
that contained something we wanted to remove, each individual admin would
have to block it from each individual server.  This seems like it might be
very hard to do on a decentralized network, but it's still interesting to
me.

This really isn't an SKS thing, and I'm sure this has come up before on
other OpenPGP mailing lists, but I'm either wondering what other people
here think about it, or if anyone could point me to an existing discussion
on this topic.

Now, in our particular case at hand, it would seem to me that if we don't
even accept images over a certain size, it wouldn't be an attractive method
of distributing many of the images we're talking about here, but I do still
see the other side of the argument.

Thanks,

Sacha