sketch-devel

Re: More Ques.

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: More Ques.
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:26:46 +0100

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:34:18PM -0800, Joel Biddier wrote:

>    (1)
>    Here is my general dependency list (or requirements list) for Skencil:
>    1. Python (with Tkinter)
>    2. PIL
>    3. zlib (for PIL)
>    4. libjpeg (for PIL)
>    5. Tcl and Tk (Tkinter and PIL)
>    6 Ghostscript (for EPS previews and fonts if desired)
>    I compile  PIL with the libjpeg and zlib libs and include the Tkinter
>    bindings (e.g. _imagingTk) (I also use the X includes and libs).
>    Is this list correct?

I really don't know, I think you know more about this
than anybody now. :)

What you could do is construct a script
to check the library dependencies of the object files.

Usually the command is ldd, like:

ldd /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so
        libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 (0x6ff65000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x0f7b0000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0fd50000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe70000)
        /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x08000000

>    (2a)
>    In the Fontmetrics directory when I write the std.sfd files with the
>    pfb/pfa font name as the last entry (and not the resident afms in the
>    Fontmetrics dir),
>    then use the Fontmetrics afm  file names with the alias.sfd file (the
>    second argument) the fonts work fine. This is the opposite of the
>    canonical format, but it works. Why would this work? I don't intend on
>    doing this for the document, but I am curious. What is the relation
>    bet/w the std and alias  sfd files? I can only guess that the FontName
>    (first entry in both files) acts as a key bet/w the two files. But
>    which one holds the afm names and which the pfb/pfa names (or does it
>    not matter)? When adding new fonts (in a separate dir), the afm and
>    pfb/pfa names are usually the same and it becomes ambiguous to which
>    holds what.

No idea, this seems complicated.

>    (2b)
>    Also, the first entry in the std.sfd file (the afm "FontName"), How
>    does Skencil use this data field exactly (to match up the alias? To
>    use the PS Type 1 fonts via this name (as oppose to the afm
>    "FullName")?  What?).  I already understand the X11 name stuff, but I
>    don't fully understand this part (other than it has to do with Skencil
>    handling/ using PS Type 1 fonts and having an afm to the pfb/pfa file
>    for full font information and manipulation.).

Can you see something from the code.
I mean because of this being so complicated I just hope that
we improve the font handling for 0.7. :)

Best,
        Bernhard R.