sketch-devel

Re: Patch for layers panel

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: Patch for layers panel
Date: 04 Feb 2003 20:30:09 +0100

Ralf Engels <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Ok, seems like there are some errors still in. You are right, dragging
> > > can not work.
> >
> > Would be nice if it did work, though :)
> >

> Ok. As soon as the current patch is applied I start working on new additions.

My current plan is to release a new development version sometime this
week. This will be the last one based on GTK 1.2. Then I check in the
GTK2 modifications I have at the moment and start to get the rest
converted to GTK2 as well. At that pint that we can also start adding
new GUI code, such as your layer dialog.

> Yes. A tree is not one dimensional. But the tree list is, at least for the
> user.
>
> You will lose a lot important relations. In the list, two neighbour
> shapes can appear at totaly different places.

Well, it's a different perspective on the document. That the stacking
order and containment relationship is completely independent of the
spatial position of the objects is the main reason for having the tree
view.

It may well be that inexperienced users of vector drawing pograms can be
confused by a tree view. However, the structure the tree shows is as
much part of the drawing as the positions of the objects.

> Big object don't look different. On the other hand, object with a lot of
> transformations get a very long entry.

I'm not sure what you mean.

> I don't say that the tree view is useless (e.g. a lot of CAD progams use it)
> but that there has to be a better way.

If we can find a better way I definitely wouldn't be against
implementing it.

> The object-properties dialog is different depending on what object is
> selected:
>
> Multiple object selected:
> It shows a list of all the object with a short description. If you click on
> one of these (select it in the list), the corresponding object in the big
> window gets selected.
> Additional the object-dialog changes it's outlook (because a new object is
> seleced)
>
> Normal object is selected:
> Normal, but there is a button with "Parent Object" and a short description.
> When selected see above.
>
> Group object selected:
> List with all grouped object simmilar to multiple objects
> Button with "ungroup"

Sounds very useful.

> Transformation
> Simmilar to group.
> Button with "remove transformation"

The "Remove Transformation" command in 0.6 only applies to objects that
have an intrinsic size and orientation such as Text and raster/EPS
images. As such it's a bit obscure.

> In this way you have a usefull feature without the problems of the nomal
> tree-view which are:
> not enough place for usefull description of the object
> only operations on the list are select, double click and drag. No place for
> buttons.
> a lot of not needed information is shown (like 1000+ lines or 100+ nodes for
> one line.)

That's assuming that the tree shows all the nodes of a bezier curve
which it currently doesn't.

> > > I wanted the following mechanism:
> > > If at least one object is selected, the layer is selected in the layer
> > > panel as well.
> > > If you select another layer, the selected object are moved to this layer.
[...]
> The active layer is only shown in the layer view, if no object is selected.
> So if nothing is selected it works like before.

Where are newly drawn objects placed in Freehand if some objects are
currently selected? The topmost layer that contains selected objects?

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/