sipwitch-devel

[Sipwitch-devel] SIP + RTP/RTCP Port Multiplexing

From: Alex M (Coyo)
Subject: [Sipwitch-devel] SIP + RTP/RTCP Port Multiplexing
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:42:36 -0500

I apologize if this has been covered prior to this thread creation, but....

Is it possible to multiplex SIP and RTP/RTCP on a common port?

Might it additionally be possible to multiplex multiple RTP sessions on a common port along with the SIP control channel?

I realize that SIP is supposed to be a text-only and human-readable control protocol, but if we're using socks bytestream proxies and such on a server in a datacenter anyway, why not simplify it all, and run it over the same udp port, since it's not like we want anyone other than the participants and/or server admins observing the datastreams anyway?

Sure, we could use DTLS and ZRTP to preserve user privacy, but if we're already doing that, then what's the big deal with ensuring the protocol is human-readable? Once the telecommunications companies were done with SIP, it was no longer a simple protocol to implement.

Since we're using common libraries, and encrypting the datastreams, it seems to me that human-readability is no longer a valid concern. You can always use a debugging console if you wish to observe the content of SIP control channels and/or media channels, so why not?

Thank you in advance for spending valuable time, attention, and effort for reading and/or responding to this question. I do acknowledge the dispensation on my behalf, and it is appreciated.