Re: [Simulavr-devel] Net/TxData Magic Pin Thoughts

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Net/TxData Magic Pin Thoughts
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:12:24 -0500

Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:
Joel,

Joel Sherrill wrote:
+ Is a net just a "wire" in the wire wrap sense?  Or
more of a shared bus? Is there just a single source
and sink?  Can there be multiple sources and sinks?
In the past only "wires" in the wire wrap sense are mostly used. In one of the
examples I have one source and multiple sinks and that works. During the
development of the LCD update I had connected a sink with a sink based on a
programming bug and it showed a short! So I expect it works with multiple source
and multiple sinks.

OK.  So I am close. :)
+ To add a magic Tx Data port, I will need to add
a virtual/debug/probe (name suggestion) pin to hwuart.cpp.
When the last bit or stop bit is transmitted, it writes
the data on tbe "TxByteProbe" pin.
What is the benfit? What do you want to achieve with this bit?

Not having to assemble the high/low transitions from
a serial port in an external feedback module.  One command
from simulator on ui port to send serial byte or break.
Easier to work with on simulator feedback side.  Not concerned
about wire level accuracy in these feedbacks.  The goal
is to pretend to be devices like a GPS or some other message
oriented device.  Raises the abstraction a bit.
I am really having to understand my improvement of the
code but I think I am close to having something work.
I just want to make sure my understanding matches
what the reality is.
:-)

Thanks.

--joel