silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Missing ASCII2Unicode application at http://silpa.or

From: Abduraoof T
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Missing ASCII2Unicode application at http://silpa.org.in/
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:48:13 +0530

Its not that we need to support old URL but we should also take care of
our old user base.

Thanks for "restoring back" the old url :)

We can't just break their applications, that will be very rude of us to do.

 Now, you might need to set a redirect for silpa.org.in/Payyans, for those who are accustomed to it?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Vasudev Kamath <address@hidden> wrote:
Jishnu <address@hidden> writes:

>     Jishnu I think we can revert display text to Payyans and some how
>     arrange a redirection from ASCII2Unicode to it? Which looks ugly
>     me. otherwise we can announce change in URL. Let me know what you
>     think
>

> I prefer to have some consistency for URLs. My suggestion is to use
> module name for URL and module_display value for title and menu.
> In that way, we can use `ASCII to Unicode` for title and `payyans` for
> URL.

Right that was my idea when I changed the display names to something
which looks more cleaner and matches module which is being hosted.

> Do we need to support old URLs ? I think we don't need to. If I
> remember correctly, we decided to break backward compatibility, if
> required.

Its not that we need to support old URL but we should also take care of
our old user base. We can't just break their applications, that will be
very rude of us to do. So idea is announce of change in URL at relevant
place (question is where? do we have idea how many people are
using). For backward compatibility use http codes possibility to tell
the new URL (just like URL redirection 302 is it?) but question is will
it work with JSONRPC or is it possible to implement it.

In any case we won't be supporting work around for long but we can
announce an ETA and after that break the compatibility. Sounds good?

--
Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info