self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] [bug #23366] General layout of the version manag

From: Nagarjuna G.
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] [bug #23366] General layout of the version management screen needs reworking
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:27:16 +0530

On 5/27/08, Federico Heinz <address@hidden> wrote:

>                  Privacy: Public
>              Assigned to: None
>              Open/Closed: Open
>          Discussion Lock: Any

> Details:
>
> The current layout of the version management screen is a good start.
> However,
> it uses three panes: one for the tree, one for version "A" and one for
> version
> "B" (which doubles as the pane for the diff). This is inconsistent with the
> rest of the platorm, which uses only two panes, and also is difficult to use
> on machines that don't have a widescreen display.
>
> Please go back to the original UI mockup, which used only two panes: one for
> the tree, and another to display the contents of either the first selected
> version, the second selected version or the diff between them, using tabs to
> switch among views.

Which UI interface is good is difficult to determine now without any
user base.  We have been building and rebuilding the site so many
times, that at this stage I would not recommend any such change.  We
are trying to get the tree thingy from the mockup you suggested.  And
the visual help that we can give to a non-hacker teacher who is our
author.   I think Niyam's three pane idea is good for them.  I am
playing balance and incarporated both your ideas.

 What we need now are some messages on the screen to guide a teacher
to know how to understand the UI.  We need such specification as soon
as possible.

The drawings for this three pane were available for the team for the
last four months.  I don't mind if we realize that there is some
problem with the interface only now.  But we will take time to redo
it. We will do it after we complete the other functionalities to be
added on this interface, like, merge button, and messages.

Most computer screens are wider than longer, unless if it is for PDAs.

Rajiv, can you remove the non functioning tabs on the left pane below
the tree.  We can add them when those features are built.

Nagarjuna