Re: Delay when closing a window after starting a background process

From: Dun Peal
Subject: Re: Delay when closing a window after starting a background process
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:44:07 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:

>   sleep 100 >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null &

Thanks, Bob. Adding the `</dev/null` redirection did the trick. Some
of the background processes I was launching from screen already had
stdout and stderr redirected to /dev/null via `&>/dev/null`, but they
were still hanging the screen window, until adding the stdin
redirection per your suggestion eliminated the problem.

It's still a mystery as to why it's happening. I tried to reduce the
`zombie_timeout` to small values like 0 and 1, and it didn't seem to
have any effect. So I doubt that's the reason.

Thanks, D.