GNU Screen + GnuPG + SSH

From: Jamenson Ferreira Espindula de Almeida Melo
Subject: GNU Screen + GnuPG + SSH
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 15:31:13 -0300

- From Jaboatão dos Guararapes, Pernambuco, Brazil, June, 2Th 2018.

Hi, everyone.

I use a GnuPG key pair to authenticate SSH connections.

GnuPG has its own password agent (gpg-agent) to manage passwords and
gpg-agent requires GPG_TTY environment variable to be set to always
reflect the tty (/usr/bin/tty) output.

Initially I included the following lines in my /etc/profile and in my
/$HOME/.bashrc:

export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(gpgconf --list-dirs agent-ssh-socket)
GPG_TTY=$(tty)
export GPG_TTY
gpg-connect-agent -vv updatestartuptty /bye > /dev/null 2>&1

Now I am thinking that the "natural" place to put these lines is my
/$HOME/.screenrc file.

I had problem launching Gnome Graphical User Interface in Debian
GNU/Linux 9 (stretch): the graphical environment did not load anymore.
So, I just excluded the above lines from /etc/profile and from
/$HOME/.bashrc. After that, everything worked as usual.

In another GNU/Linux environment (a terminal-only Linux From Scratch),
the above lines worked well, but, like I mentioned, if I want to set the
GPG_TTY environment variable inside the GNU Screen environment, I think
that the "natural" place to put these lines would be in the
/etc/screenrc and (or) in the /$HOME/.screenrc files, but such approach
is not working at all: GPG_TTY did not get set at all.

Any idea to solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Jamenson Ferreira Espindula de Almeida Melo
GNU/Linux user # 166197 (since 1999)
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/166197.png

Key fingerprint:
234D 1914 4224 7C53 BD13  6855 2AE0 25C0 08A8 6180