Re: tgetent: warning: termcap entry too long

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: tgetent: warning: termcap entry too long
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 02:03:05 -0800

Andy,

Does xterm have an entry in your /etc/termcap? Please provide that.

What do you get for "ldd screen"?

The thing that bothers me about this, is that the failure point must be
at screen, rather than the programs running under it, since the kend/kH
is failing to be translated from \EOF to screen's \E[4~. The only way
this would make sense to me is if screen is using a real termcap as
opposed to ncurses' emulation of it through terminfo: real-world termcap
implementations are known to do things like truncate the entry if it
exceeds 1023 bytes.

If the xterm entry in your /etc/termcap is greater than that, and moving
the definition for kH closer to the top eliminates the problem, then we
know that termcap is being used (and we need to find out why configure
is then misdetecting this). Otherwise, it remains a mystery to me why
\EOF isn't being translated correctly, and no problem with the shells or
other things running under screen would explain it.

--
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.