Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!

From: Aaron Davies
Subject: Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:15:58 +0800

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:59 PM, David Marsh <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I had the same problem. When I first tried it I couldn't see the point.
>>
>> Sounds more like praise of screen, rather than an argument for a large
>> sample screenrc file.
>
> Oh, indeed it is certainly praise for screen.
>
> Maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well; When I tried screen for the
> very first time I really didn't understand how it worked or even what it did
> that I couldn't do with a tabbed terminal manager.
>
> A simple .screenrc file that opened two windows with shell in each, plus a
> nice simple hardstatus line might have help me to understand how screen was
> useful sooner.

i don't remember off the top of my head what the /etc/screenrc and/or
default settings are in the source distro of screen, but i've seen
plenty of installations where not having a ~/.screenrc leads to screen
starting with no status line at all--you can't tell anything's
happened, even once you start creating new windows. the only way to
know you're inside screen would be by the odd things that happen once
you hit ctrl-A.

a default hardstatus/caption showing, at minimum, the list of screens
with the current one highlighted would be a huge help.
--
Aaron Davies
address@hidden