Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:24:54 -0400

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:15:02AM EDT, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> [A lot of confusion it seems...]
>
> I've been very sick during the last week, which has meant that I
> haven't been able to sit at the computer at all.

Sorry to hear that. It must have been serious since I have never myself
been ill to the point I was not able to use a computer. Hope you are
feeling better.

> I did post a link to my earlier posting to this list, but gmane sadly
> replaces all @ signs with <at>, so it wasn't very helpful it seems.

Hehe.. Mys first reaction when Stephane spotted this <at> thing was that
someone was taking fear of spambots a little too far.. So I wasn't so
far off after all.. :-)

> Anyway, here's a link to the archives at savannah:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2005-10/msg00014.html
>
> and a direct link to my terminfo definition that was attached to that
> message:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2005-10/txtt6QidxbtQi.txt

Same contents as the one that Stephane pasted on your behalf. I spotted
minor differences - tabs instead of spaces, an extra blank line, a
trailing blank.. I compiled the 2005-10 version above just in case and
ran a quick test and I'm still getting the SIGSEGV:

#0  0x08050397 in ?? ()
#1  0x00004c3f in ?? ()
#2  0x00000007 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#4  0x40055279 in use_default_colors () from /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5
#5  0x000000ff in ?? ()
#6  0x06020400 in ?? ()
#7  0x07030501 in ?? ()
#8  0x40209880 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#9  0x40016540 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#10 0xbffff698 in ?? ()
#11 0x08050bb4 in ?? ()
#12 0x4005ca00 in halfdelay () from /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5

> Using it, everything should work fine.

I'll ask the weechat developers about this.. Maybe they'll be able to
point me in the right direction.

> I did remember one other thing I had to do to launch mutt from
> screenrc:
>
> screen -t 'mail' $SHELL -c "TERMCAP= mutt"
>
> because screen still (foolishly, as has been previously discussed)
> sets $TERMCAP, which in the case of ncurses and mutt for some reason
> overrides the following statement in the ncurses man-page:
>
>            If  the  ncurses  library  has been configured with termcap
>            support, ncurses will check for a terminal's description in
>            termcap form if it is not available in the terminfo
>            database.
>
> Anyway, make sure to add
>
>  unset TERMCAP
>
> to your shell's initialization-script or other programs may get
> confused as well.

.. this is way above my head. I launch xterm and TERMCAP is not set.
Then I launch screen and now TERMCAP is set to the contents of the
terminfo entry I passed to screen via the "term" initialization command
in .screenrc.  I'll take another look at the mutt manual but I'm not
sure I understand why I should set TERMCAP to "mutt".

> Finally, cga, you seem to be trying to do too many things at once.

Yep.. and I'm doing it on a live system, which slows me down
considerably..

> Start with a clean setup, try to add one feature, e.g., 256-color
> support, utf-8 support, function keys, or whatever, and make sure that
> it works before moving on to the next step.

.. in an ideal world..

> It's also wise to document your progress, both for yourself and perhaps for
> others.

Couldn't agree more.. But this is another non-negligible source of
overhead.. quickly poses the problem of how you can manage all your
doc.. and adds yet another dimension to the "too many things at once"
you rightly mention above.

> Also, remember that you need a special version of ncurses for
> wide-character support.  Without it, you won't get correct
> utf-8-output from mutt.

How would I go about finding out if the ncurses lib is wide
character-enabled? Isn't that what 'w' means..? cf. the weechat
backtrace above.

>  nikolai

Thanks,

cga