Re: attaching detached sessions to the current one

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: attaching detached sessions to the current one
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 06:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

"Me too!"

 Freaky thing is, this *may actually be possible*.

 If screen develops the capability to import TTY FDs from another process, then
the answer may be as simple as a wrapper around your shell that does little
more than hold the FDs for your TTY, and pipes them through.  (Well, it'd also
need to do the right things w/ signals, but let's not get caught up in
details.)  You could arrange for this to run from your login scripts (or
perhaps .cshrc/.bashrc if you're careful--it'd have to somehow autodetect its
or screen's presence to avoid recursion).  Such a wrapper could be very, very
lightweight, since it wouldn't even need to do any terminal emulation, since
it's not doing any terminal multiplexing.  All it'd need to know how to do is
surrender its FDs over a UNIX domain socket when requested by screen for the
import.

 If screen sprouts the aforementioned capability, can we get that wrapper as a
tool also?  I'd add it to my login scripts in a heartbeat.  It'd be like
"screen, ultra light."  So light weight there's no excuse NOT to run it.

 --Joe

We sell Spatulas, and that's all!http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/
http://sdk-1600.spatula-city.org/
http://intyos.spatula-city.org/