Re: Backspace/Delete Issues?

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: Backspace/Delete Issues?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:54:37 +0200

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 03:27:24PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>     I wonder: On the principle Screen translates all special keys it
> manages from the real terminal (as described by upstream TERM terminfo)
> to the virtual terminal (Screen's fixed sequences). And TERM=screen
> terminfo entry documents those Screen virtual keys for the downstream
> applications. Example PuTTY's [F1] sends ESC[11~ but apps under Screen
> receive ESCOP. Detach and reattach on an IBM 3151, where [F1] sends
> ESCaCR, and apps still receive ESCOP. Screen's magic.
>
>     But in Screen 4.0.2 the [backspace] key doesn't seem to be so
> translated. Why?

Basically because "kbs" tends to be wrong. The point is, looking
at the local terminfo entry doesn't help if you log in over the
network. This is one of the main problems with termcap/terminfo.
Setting "kbs" to \177 is very linux specific (and IMHO a mistake),
just look at the xterm entry on a Solaris system.

>     I understand that keys like [F42], [backtab], or [undo] are not in
> the minimal common set of keys managed by Screen. Those are sent as they
> are, untranslated. Not portably usable by apps. But [backspace]?

Actually this is a missing feature: screen should translate all of
the stty settings. Not implemented yet, though. We currently hope
that the stty setting used when screen was started is the same
when the user reattaches.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--