Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:47:33 -0400

[..]

> That is called "quoted-printable" encoding, mutt is normally
> able to read and decode that. What is strange is that my post
> appears indeed to be QP-encoded while the message in my outbox is
> not. There must be a mail transport agent that does that
> additional encoding it is not one on my side as the emails I
> send to echo robots come back without the problem. Maybe the
> server handling that mailing list.

Thanks, Stéphane,

I have to dig out some doc and read the fine print regarding electronic
encodings and try to figure out how it relates to UTF-8. If there is a
problem it's likely to be my end since I set up my mail system only
recently.

> > So I removed these artefacts manually, saved the file, did a "tic ..."
> > and copied the output to /usr/share/terminfo/s/.. but when I tried to
> > run screen I was getting a bunch of '3D's and inverted question marks
> > all over the place. So I may have screwed up when cleaning up the source
> > manually.. or this entry may have problems with my UTF-8 locale/xterm
> > (or both, for that matter).
>
> You didn't decode it enough apparently.

Or too much, more like.. :-)

I saved the new copy to a file and vimdiff'd it with the previous one
and I found that I was missing all the CR's and had leading spaces where I
should have had tab's..

So I compiled it etc.. changed my .screenrc to point to the new
xscreen-256color and rather to my surprise it  not only ran first-time
without a glitch but more importantly the different 256-color-aware
applications that I run under screen worked out of the box: vim, mutt,
and elinks recognized the terminal's capabilities.

Thank you very much indeed for your assistance with this matter.

cga