Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen

From: Adam Monsen
Subject: Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:30:56 -0700

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:08:53 +1000, Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 04:07, Adam Monsen wrote:
> > Joe's right, this isn't a screen issue.
> >
> > When you pipe anything to vi, the default is to try to execute
>
> Except I'm not piping direct to vi, I'm going via xargs, so vim just
> gets a list of files on it's standard in.

Well, if you want to split hairs, vi is actually getting the file list
as command line arguments, set up by xargs. vi can tell that it's not
being run in a way that the user expects to interact, so it behaves
differently than if command line arguments were explicitly specified,
or gathered from backticks.

That vi doesn't expect the user to interact is a feature I could
personally do without. I always run it interactively.

[...]
> I guess the question is - why does it work at all (how come vim actually
> displays all the files thusly passed in, for me to edit, and I can edit
> them, save, etc - all in full color, etc) (ie. it's just when I exit the
> last file that it "hangs" the terminal) ???

Doesn't work for me! Then again, I don't actually have a vanilla vi, I
always use Vim.

Maybe someday Damian Conway will use Vim, too.

[...]

--
Adam Monsen <address@hidden>
http://adammonsen.com/