screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #44947] Preselection of window for -X exec ignored i

From: Christof Kaufmann
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #44947] Preselection of window for -X exec ignored in screen
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:42:57 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.2.1
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

When I try to preselect a window in which a command should be executed, the
setting is (almost) ignored and the currently selected window is used instead.
This issue can easily be reproduced:

screen -dmS test -t win1
screen -r test -X screen -t win2
screen -r test -p 0 -X exec echo text0
screen -r test -p 1 -X exec echo text1

Now reconnect with

screen -r test

and see that text0 and text1 are printed in the same window. However, when
using a too high number (e. g. 2) for the preselection, the command is not
executed at all (which is good). I think the wrong preselection is not
intended, since with the following command the preselection works as
expected:

screen -dmS test -t win1
screen -r test -X screen -t win2
screen -r test -p 0 -X stuff $'echo text0\r'
screen -r test -p 1 -X stuff $'echo text1\r'

This was tested on Debian Jessie with Screen version 4.02.01 and on Rocks 6.1
with Screen version 4.00.03.

This issue might be related to Bug 31247
<https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31247>. It might also be related that the
select command does not work (from outside):

screen -r test -X select 0

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44947>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/