screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #44243] Robust Session Restoration

From: Wyatt Epp
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #44243] Robust Session Restoration
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:37:50 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, bug #44243 (project screen):

That's vexing, but if it's the limit of what can be done I'd take what I can
get-- saving windows and their titles would be substantially more than I
already have.

layout dump sounds...close?  At least according to the random man page I
found[0].  Confusingly, layouts don't appear to be documented in the screen
manual[1] at all, so it's not clear what a layout is, exactly.  My impression
is it's about window splits, which I don't actually use... I guess I'll try to
build myself a recent-enough screen to test it later (a pox on Red Hat's
packaging policies).

> saving the environment before each prompt

Interesting idea, though I'm really not sure how to scale it simply and
transparently.

> And maybe give the sysadmins some advice on etiquette. :)

Believe me, I've tried. But company policy trumps common sense and "routine
reboots" are a thing. :(

[0] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/screen.1.html
[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44243>