screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #35499] Adding visibility to vertical splits

From: Curtis Brown
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #35499] Adding visibility to vertical splits
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 03:36:35 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: Cur Dev Sources
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: Later
           Work Required: None

Details:

When it comes to splitting, I've found that having some sort of visible "line"
or division helps me to see the boundaries of the splits. For horizontal
splits, I've relied on :caption to provide that. The caption can be as simple
as

   :caption string "%{wr} %="

and that would be sufficient for me. I would be able to see a contrasting
division between the regions regardless of my xterm's text color or background
color.

However, I have problems visualizing vertical splits. If my xterm's text color
is black and the background color is white, vertical splits show as a black
band. However, I'm most comfortable using white text against a black
background. My dislike is that vertical splits still show as a black band, and
against a black background it makes it difficult to see.

As a wish I would like to specify a character, most preferably an ascii pipe
"|", that can be repeated up and down the split. Perhaps the :caption or
:rendition command can be overloaded to accomodate this.

I would be willing to help code this if I had an idea where a char can be
printed in between regions. Thanks in advance for everyone's consideration.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35499>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/