screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Numbered regions like in vim?

From: Clark J. Wang
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Numbered regions like in vim?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:25:58 +0800

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:20:22AM EST, Clark J. Wang wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > On 02.11.11,13:42, Clark J. Wang wrote:

> > > In vim, all windows (created by :split and :vsplit commands) are
> > > numbered as 1, 2, 3, ... and we can include the window number in
> > > 'statusline'. If I want to go to window 3 I can type 3<ctrl-w>w
> > > which is very convenient. And I make it even more convenient with
> > > following mappings:

> > > nnoremap  <silent> g1 1<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g2 2<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g3 3<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g4 4<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g5 5<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g6 6<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g7 7<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g8 8<C-W>w
> > > nnoremap  <silent> g9 9<C-W>w
> > >
> > > Is that possible with regions (created by :split command) in screen?
> > >

> > Would something like this work for you?
> >
> > http://aperiodic.net/screen/commands:focus
> >

> Yes I already know the focus command but it requires quite a few of
> key strokes when moving between >2 regions. Would be much easier if
> I can focus a region by its number.

Personally, since I rarely (if ever) have more than four sub-windows,
with one vertical and one horizontal split, either in Vim or in
GNU/screen, I always (and only) use <C-A> ¹ + <h,j,k,l>  to move quickly
between regions.

Maybe this does not sound quite as effective (at least in theory, see
note below) as jumping directly to a given sub-window, but I find that
since the keyboard actions are almost identical in both Vim and screen,
I am able to navigate between sub-windows with no overhead.

Here's what I added to my .screenrc:

 bind j focus down
 bind k focus up
 bind h focus top
 bind l focus bottom
 bind o only

Not exactly what you were asking, but this "solution" meets my
requirements of having (somewhat) consistent keyboard actions across the
environments that I use on a regular basis.

That's just fine. I can use your bindings for now. Thanks.

CJ

¹ white lie: I really use <CTRL + spacebar> as my command key combo,
 actioning CapsLk (remapped to Control) with my left pinkie and the
 spacebar with my right thumb, so that I don't even have to move my
 fingers off the home row. Even when I have to to a "<C-SB> + J"
 followed by a "<C-SB> + L" to move diagonally, I still find it less of
 a hassle than having to *think* of the correct digit/number *and*
 reach for the corresponding key in the top row of the keyboard.