Re: Malformed link from Planet GNU?

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: Malformed link from Planet GNU?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:17:32 +0100

Bob writes:

I think this must be on the planet.gnu.org side of things.  I don't
have any acces to it.  But I scanned through the Internet Archive's
copy of things and I see that this was the last time it was "working".
Note the "October 07, 2017" "health @ Savannah" entry.

    https://web.archive.org/web/20171014141946/https://planet.gnu.org/

And the next snapshot shows the atom feed.  Look for the "March 11,
2018" "automake @ Savannah" entry and it is an atom feed then.

    https://web.archive.org/web/20180313234855/http://planet.gnu.org/

What Savannah provides is a file with a list of projects.  The
aggregator on planet then polls the projects news feeds and scrapes
out the new news articles and posts them to planet.

Is this intentional? I would expect a link back to the original online
page instead of the file.

This does have the feel like an unintentional change.  I don't think
(can't guarentee it without looking at the planet side aggregator) but
I think this must have been a change on the aggregator side of things.
The news article rendering on the Savannah web UI side looks the same
to my eye but I don't know exactly what the aggregator will be
scraping from it.  It's possible something changed in there and the
aggregator became confused and started grabbing a different link.

I don't have access to the planet0p VM.  I don't know who does.
Pretty sure Sylvain brought the feed back online again after an
absence in 2016 due to a note I see.  I will ask sysadmin about it
tomorrow.

And FWIW, I noticed that Savannah feeds are not listed in config.ini.tmpl.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/www/planet-config.git/tree/config/config.ini.tmpl

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education