Re: Uploading to dl.sv.gnu.org

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: Uploading to dl.sv.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:12:20 +0100

On 2/1/24 12:39, Ineiev wrote:
On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:02:57PM +0100, Dora Scilipoti wrote:

until not long ago, members of the audio-video group were able to upload
files to that server as follows:

$ rsync -tvz --progress FILE USERNAME@dl.sv.gnu.org:/srv/audio-video/video/

The options -tvz don't seem to work anymore. What works for me now is
-tvr.

Is anyone here aware of what has caused this?

Before 2023-11, the server accepted virtually any rsync options;
that allowed users to get sensitive data from the server, so we
introduced a limit on the set of permitted options.

What should we do in order to keep informed about changes like this that
affect our capacity to use the server?

The server informs the user about the available options whenever
it sees any command that doesn't fit them.

The error message from the server regarding options -tvz can be obscure;
it was for me and for someone else who should know more as a sysadmin.
So better not to assume people will understand what's going only from
what the server says.

I wonder if Savannah people could make arrangements to inform users of
that server whenever there are changes that affect their work.

(Let's keep the audio-video mailing list copied if possible.)

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education