Re: [Savannah-users] Savannah mailing-lists and GDPR

From: Assaf Gordon
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 05:26:11 -0600

Hello,

On 21/04/18 04:03 PM, Uwe Scholz wrote:
on May 25th the European General Data Protection Regulation will become active (see https://www.eugdpr.org/) and I am wondering if and
what the admins at savannah.nongnu.org will do to be GDPR compliant
on that date.

I suspect that "nothing" is the answer, but I could be wrong.

Coming back to Savannah: I am especially wondering for example: if a member of a mailing-list want's to know what of his data is stored on
Savannahs servers, where will he get this information? (I am thinking
of email address, Name, IP address, the date when the subscription
was made, etc.).

full archives of all gnu and nongnu mailing lists are available for
download as mbox files, containing full email headers )which include IP, message ID, date/time, etc.).

For example, to download the entire archive of address@hidden,
run the following command:

  rsync -avhP rsync://lists.gnu.org/mbox/gcmd-users .

Then you can simply "grep" for any information you want.

As for the 'date of subscription' - I don't know if there's an easy way
to get that information. When users subscribed they receive a
confirmation email -if the kept it - they'll have the date.

For me as the admin of a mailinglist: How can I help the user to get
this information? Am I allowed to do that? Or can I forward his request to the Savannah admins?

Show them the above command.

If they aren't comfortable with 'rsync', they can use FTP:
  ftp://lists.gnu.org/gcmd-users/

Please don't direct them to savannah admins, we don't have more
information than the above.

Another point: Are there any changes in the email subscription page planned?

Not to my knowledge.

believe a more detailed disclaimer would be necessary.

As a mailing-list administrator for your project, you can modify the
information shown on the page of the mailing lists for your project.

When you login to the "administrative page" of your mailing list,
select "Edit the public HTML pages and text files" under "Other administrator activities". You'll be able to change some of the web page text, and some of the email messages.

regards,
 - assaf