Re: [Savannah-users] Bounces

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Bounces
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:29:06 GMT

Hi Sam,

    This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:

    Oops, you're right. Sorry for the bother. Haven't seen any more of
    these so maybe it was just a glitch.

I think it is expected and specified behavior, not a glitch.
(Assuming you replaced the real address (antonio ...) with xxx.)

- When enough messages bounce from a given address in a short enough
  time, mailman automatically disables it (one of its nicest features).

- I see mail on gnewsense-dev revived in december after a couple months
  of quiescence.  I expect that you got the bounces at the point when
  enough mail was sent that a bunch of addresses on the list all became
  known-bad at the same time.  A common scenario.

- When this happens, by default notifications are sent to the list
  admins.  If you want to disable such notifications (I certainly
  do disable them for all my lists), on
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/admin/gnewsense-dev/bounce
  set
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable = 0
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal = 0

  (It is useful to keep bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner=1, so
  that you can remove such unrecognized bounces by hand.)

  We don't make these settings by default because some list owners
  really do want to see the automated disables, and that is not
  unreasonable.

- We wrote some explanation about all our recommended mailman settings,
  including these, at
http://www.nongnu.org/listhelper/mailmanconf.html#bounce

For the record, re what Bob said: while it is true that the FSF admins
are responsible for lists.gnu.org, there is still a significant
difference (as Bob knows full well :) between lists and the other FSF
servers (www, ftp, ...): a few Savannah hackers can actually log in to
lists and look at (some) aspects of the configuration (though not change
anything), and create/remove lists and archives.  And generally it is
fine to ask Savannah about mailing list stuff.

Best,
Karl