Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against CU

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against CUDA library
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:57:14 +0900

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What if CUDA isn't a dependency per-se, but rather one of several
>> backends?
>
> Free software users mustn't be enticed to use proprietary software.
> If there are multiple backends, the best (or equal-best) backend must
> rely on free software.  If CUDA is a suboptimal (or equal-best)
> backend, that's ok. If CUDA is a better backend than a free software
> alternative, that's not ok.

I think I'd also want to know what future plans were -- for instance,
if the project originally used CUDA for historical reasons, but has
serious plans to move to OpenCL (which I guess is basically a standard
that can replace proprietary interfaces like CUDA, and will be
implemented by hardware with free drivers, e.g., from ATI), that seems
worthwhile to support.

-Miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.