[Savannah-register-public] [task #14971] Submission of EmacsConf

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14971] Submission of EmacsConf
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:50:47 -0400 (EDT)

>  Then perhaps "www.gnu.org portion" would be a more adequate type; but
you'll have to speak to FSF's people like rms (not sysadmins) to approve it.

That makes sense.  I'll wait to hear from sysadmin@, then I'll ask them to
kindly put me in touch with the right people at FSF, if not rms himself.

>  Please note https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Content

Thanks for linking that.  I had no idea that "content" was one of those
words.

> Anyway, it would help if you describe your needs in more detail: what you
are going to host, what facilities you will need and how you plan to use
them.

My apologies if I wasn't clear enough.  I've included below a copy of the
email I sent to sysadmin@ last night, which contains some more details about
our current infra and what we'd need.

> Do you actually need a dedicated Savannah group? Can't you use, say,
https://savannah.gnu.org/p/emacs ?

Hmm, that may be a possibility.  Aside from a mailing list, we need infra to
host a wiki on emacsconf.org (not sure if it can be handled using regular cvs
web repos), ability to create git repositories on savannah, mediagoblin
instance for hosting conference videos and media (similar to that of
LibrePlanet), and also integrating with civicrm's event module and
trustcommerce for handling RSVPing and purchase of tickets for the conference.
 At least that's what I can remember right now.  I'll amend more to the list
if anything comes up.

----

Amin Bandali <address@hidden> (Today 01:58) (sent)
Subject: Hosting for EmacsConf on Savannah and GNU infra
To: address@hidden
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 01:58:40 -0400

Hello there,

I'm one of the organizers of the previous EmacsConf back in 2015.
I just submitted an application for getting EmacsConf set up on
Savannah: https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14971
I selected 'GUG' as project type because that seemed the closest.

Our current infrastructure was down for a while, but I got it
back up and running again over the course of last few days.
However, I'd love to be able to host various parts of the
EmacsConf infra on Savannah and other GNU infra, for a few
reasons:

. As a way of showing that EmacsConf values and very much agrees
  with the philosophy of the GNU project and FSF,
. to hopefully bring more eyes on Savannah and free software
  tools, and
. also avoid incurring the cost of running our own infra while we
  could rely on that of GNU.

Currently, various pieces of emacsconf.org are as follows:

. emacsconf.org            the front page and the wiki of the site
. git.emacsconf.org        self-hosted git server (using Gogs)
. discourse.emacsconf.org  discussion forums

- For the main site, emacsconf.org, I'd like to transition from
  the current Django-based CMS to using a wiki, perhaps either
  DokuWiki or Oddmuse, both of which are free software.
- For our git repos, I'd like to host them on savannah.gnu.
- For our discussion forum, I'd like to use a traditional mailing
  list over on lists.gnu.org.

Additionally, it would be wonderful if FSF could help

- set up mediagoblin for us, so we could host the conference
  videos and media on media.emacsconf.org, like LibrePlanet, and
- provide some info on how to integrate civicrm's civi event
  module into our website so as to have a way of letting people
  RSVP for the conference, and also about using trustcommerce for
  handling ticket payments.

Lastly, we have the #emacsconf irc channel on freenode, which is
already listed among the official channels on
https://www.gnu.org/server/irc-rules.en.html, so there's nothing
more to be done on that front.

Thanks very much in advance for the help.

Best,
-amin

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/