[Savannah-register-public] [task #14676] Submission of A concise, robust

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14676] Submission of A concise, robust, and extensible syntax highlighting library for the web
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 11:47:11 -0400 (EDT)

> In any case, the core hilite.js code is Javascript, we only use
> node.js as an interpreter to run the Javascript server-based
> parts of hilite.js.

hilite.js combines with node.js to make a single executable,
therefore the GPL must apply to the combination;
the Original BSD conflicts with that.

> Thus it seems to me that in the current situation, there are
> no dependencies that would prevent us to release our hilite.js
> software under the GPL.

Savannah has a requirement of being GPL-compatible. This means
that people may take Savannah project A and merge it
with Savannah project B.

You could release hilite.js under the GPL, and people will even be able to use
it
_provided you add an exception allowing linking  with OpenSSL code_
(if you don't, the license of your package will forbid that).

However, they won't be able to take other code under the GPL and combine it
with hilite.js, because that code won't generally have the OpenSSL-specific
exception
(they would violate the license of  that code).

In other words, node.js dependency renders your package GPL-incompatible.

This is how I understand the situation.