[Savannah-register-public] [task #13017] Submission of binfmt-support

From: Colin Watson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13017] Submission of binfmt-support
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 00:54:33 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11254> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11254>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *binfmt-support*
* System Name:  *binfmt-support*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

The binfmt_misc kernel module, contained in versions 2.1.43 and later of the
Linux kernel, allows system administrators to register interpreters for
various binary formats based on a magic number or their file extension, and
cause the appropriate interpreter to be invoked whenever a matching file is
executed.  Think of it as a more flexible version of the #! executable
interpreter mechanism.

This package provides an 'update-binfmts' script with which package
maintainers can register interpreters to be used with this module without
having to worry about writing their own init.d scripts, and which sysadmins
can use for a slightly higher-level interface to this module.

==== Other Software Required: ====
libpipeline: GPL v3 or later, http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/

==== Other Comments: ====
binfmt-support has been in Debian for a long time as a native package.  I'd
like to make more of an effort to persuade other distributions to adopt it,
and Savannah seems like a reasonable place to host it.

The source refers to "Linux" in a number of places.  I believe I've been quite
precise about that, and am referring specifically to the Linux kernel in each
case; there's one documentation reference to GNU/Linux.

Upon reviewing my latest source against the Savannah requirements, I noticed
that some files in src/tests/ are missing copyright and licence notices.  I've
added those for my next release, although they aren't in the linked tarball.
A number of individual files are under GPL v2 or later, but the package as a
whole is GPL v3 or later; as such I've updated COPYING to v3 for my next
release, although the tarball has v2 there.  I'll remove the files under
debian/ once this package has a separate upstream existence.

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/binfmt-support/binfmt-support_2.0.16.tar.gz

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?13017>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/