[Savannah-register-public] [task #12893] Submission of A Brief History o

From: Russell James
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12893] Submission of A Brief History of Computing: The GNU Story
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:46:23 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11221> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11221>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *A Brief History of Computing: The GNU Story*
* System Name:  *gnu-story*
* Type: Official GNU software
* License: Other (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
license)

----

A book on the history of the GNU System, that will tell the story of GNU from
its pre-pre-history in Multics to the present.

Although it has "History" in its title, I'm a storyteller not a historian, so
it'll be more of a popular tale than a proper history.

The book will be an experiment with the idea of following the Free Software
development model of writing in the open and making quick, daily releases
(like software projects do with nightly builds) of a very rough draft and
allowing readers to contribute through comments. The goal is to integrate the
feedback into a final manuscript.

I'm aiming to keep it between 100-200 pages, but we'll see how it develops.
The initial goal is to write a page (300-500 words?), more or less, every day
until the draft is completed.

==== Other Comments: ====
This is a new project to write a book, because the book doesn't exist yet,
many of the checkboxes in the above checklist don't apply yet. I checked them
because the registration process required they be checked. Also, because the
book doesn't exist yet, I'm unable to supply a link to tarball. I linked to my
announcement page.

Thank you for your consideration.

Russell James

==== Tarball URL: ====