[Savannah-register-public] [task #11408] Submission of Free Reservation

From: Bernhard Fastenrath
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #11408] Submission of Free Reservation System
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:03:05 +0000

>> There is no point to assign an independent copyright to the JAXB
>> generated content, because it has been generated from
>> http://esp.nongnu.org/esp.xsd.gz, which is already under GPL.
> Is that information already stated somewhere in the tarball?

Not yet, I'll include the file itself, which does contain the GPL license.
Changing the generated content is pointless because re-generation would remove
the comments.

>> I suppose you don't consider the reference to
>> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Open_Source_Ethics in the header of
>> org/nongnu/frs/service/opentravel/OTAConnector.java a problem
>> either?
> Sorry, I haven't noticed it the first time I checked the project.
> What does it means, exactly?. It seems like it's asking for not to
> disturb proprietary business by forcing the user to "buy" the
> software, that would be an inacceptable for a free software package.

I'm merely asking contributors not to release an OTA connector as Public
Domain (I'm forking this project from a project which is released as Public
Domain, but I'm the primary author of that project as well). I do think a GPL
version could also remain more a "proof of concept" design (of this single
class, not the whole project), because my aim is not to provide a high quality
system for free. There are several companies that sell nothing much but such
systems. Personally I lack the motivation to disrupt their business. I merely
want to offer an entry level system that cannot do all the things (e.g. OTA)
you might want from a professional system. Of course I appreciate that this
view does not apply to all open source software components (e.g. the Linux
kernel and GCC for instance), but is there a need for a free high level
reservation system? I think closed-source competitors wouldn't like it and
even users might dislike it if other users of the system became their
competitors too easily. I see the further development of the system as an
intellectual challenge and would rather add some exercises to it than spoil
the educational effects. (See
http://vsrs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vsrs/README?view=markup for exercises
in the original project).