[Savannah-register-public] [task #10523] Submission of GNU+Linux from So

From: Bryan Baldwin
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10523] Submission of GNU+Linux from Source Code
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:02:16 +0000

Opps, I had been replying directly from email. No one ever saw my response.

Here is my response from August 2nd:

I can understand not wanting to host entire distributions of software,
because I don't want this either. GNU+Linux from Source Code is "meta"
in the fact that it's actual deliverable is not a distribution, only the
tools to make one. Even more precisely, it is the tools to make
software-implemented "factories" that produce GNU+Linux distributions to
spec.

As such, GLFSC will never have any accompanying packages of software,
neither binary nor source. It is only a set of tools that I plan to host
as git repository for development.

The planned function of the tools is to collect configuration data from
files or user input, instantiate a build target, generate a basesystem
of GNU+Linux, and pass the configuration details on to that system. The
source code packages can be sourced from the users local storage, or
synced from public locations on the Internet. After the basesystem is
built and booted, there will be more automation that will allow the user
to generate a software repository of packages with the package
management system of their choice.

You can read more about the development and goals at my wiki:

http://katofiad.co.nz/wiki

Enjoy! (-: