[Savannah-register-public] [task #10620] Submission of JBackpack

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10620] Submission of JBackpack
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 22:02:42 +0000

             Assigned to:                    None => alexfernandez

Hi Ronny,

I am reviewing your submission on behalf of Savannah, sorry for the delay.
Now there are a few issues with your submission:
* There is no README file in the top level. This is not only a convenience,
but may be of help with the next items.
* There are a lot of binary files distributed with the package, and they
don't carry any copyright, author or license information. (It's not only code
which needs to have the license applied to it.) The recommended way of dealing
with this situation is adding a line to a README file which lists for every
binary file the name, author and license.
* Likewise with many XML and HTML files like build.xml or
nbproject/private/profiler/configurations.xml or mac_os_x_installation.html:
as a rule of thumb, anything over 10 lines which is not completely functional
is copyrightable and should carry license information. You can either add the
license header as an XML comment, or (if that's too bothersome) add them to
the list of copyrighted files in the README.
* The copyright holder is listed as "imedias"; however, I can't find in the
documentation who they may be. There is a link to [http://www.imedias.ch]
which seems to be German page for an Institute, but I cannot read German. Now,
it is OK for groups or companies to hold copyright, but it is convenient to
have an easy way to contact them. In particular, some easy way to link the
submitter with the institution would make our life easier.
* In that site there are a few references to Open Source
<http://www.imedias.ch/beratung/freie-software>, which as you should know is
not the preferred term for the GNU project; I see that Free Software is
mentioned as well so it should be alright, but it would be a good opportunity
to mention GNU's page
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html> explaining the
difference. There is even a German translation
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.de.html>.
* In the libs/ directory there is a library called jemmy.jar, and I cannot
find it amongst the dependencies listed. I am not even sure that it contains
source code.
* There is also libs/javaws.jar, which comes with a restrictive license. I'm
not sure it can be distributed under the GPL at all.

Could you upload an updated tarball that solves these issues, so we can
continue with the review process? Thanks!