[Savannah-register-public] Comment: [task #10340] Submission of Basic Ut

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Comment: [task #10340] Submission of Basic Utilities I Like To Use
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:05:18 +0200

Hi Mario,

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 03:46:09AM +0000, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> I'ts very easy to see the Oracle JDBC is propietary, because it
> excludes people from (Verbtim quote) "Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Libya, North
> Korea, Syria, nor any country to which the United States has
> prohibited export".  Only a tyrant would agree with this
> freedom-threathing requirement.  I'm quite sure you don't want to
> exclude those people, but that is what happens when you develop a
> software using a library without reading the license first :(.
>
> This project (In it current state) can't be hosted here becuase we
> don't allow propietary dependies.  A software than requires the user
> to install propietary software in order to run don't gives true
> freedom but only a false feeling of freedom to their users.

Note that this is an optional dependency.

While the dependency itself cannot be hosted on Savannah, its use is
acceptable, as long as there's an equivalent or better free
alternative - which, in this case of JDBC database access, means
MySQL, PostreSQL, HSQL, Derby, etc.

(Similarly projects that work on both GNU/Linux and ms woe are
acceptable)

I suggest clarifying this with the submitter :)

--
Sylvain