[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #9791] Submission of ForgePlucker

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #9791] Submission of ForgePlucker
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:32:17 -0400

Nicodemo Alvaro <address@hidden>:
> "ForgePlucker intends to produce simple tools to break projects out of the
> data jails that too many open-source hosting sites have become."

I didn't grep for the version with the hyphen. :-)

> The first sentence of your description made me think of the Open Source
> movement. I do not think this is good for Savannah to refer to other sites and
> Savannah itself as open-source hosting sites.

Most of the other sites in question prefer the term "open source"
however, because they use the OSD as a policy filter annd want the
reference to it (this is, in particular, the case at SourceForge).  It
is generally interpreted to include "free software".  Can I meert your
requirements in some way that does not misrepresent them?

> ^Spelling errors. license. copyright

I fixed that a few days ago.  Now reads:

This code is Copyright (c) 2009 by Eric S. Raymond.  New BSD license applies.
For the terms of this license, see the file COPYING included with this
distribution.

> Karl has told me that in order to give permissions each source file needs to
> have a copying permissions notice.

Does the above suffice as a license notice?  The COPYING file removes
all ambiguity.

> "New BSD" is vague and could refer to the many other Modified BSD licenses
> when it comes out. From what I've seen in the license list, there are too many
> to know which one is referred to. Sylvain claimed that the license you used is
> unique.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I copied it from an older vrersion
in which the bullet points were not formatted as bullet points but
in-linbe paragraphs; substantively they are the same.

I have replaced it with the text from the BSD license template at
opensource.org. This version is generally considered canonical.

> Our guidelines in the wiki state in the Other Licenses section:
>
> "If the license is small (such as the mBSD/MIT/Expat license), instead of a
> license notice, include it entirely at the top of all your files."
>
> It was asked of you in the registration checklist when you applied if you had
> placed license notices in all your files.

That was my intention.  Does the aboove satisfy your requirements?