[Savannah-register-public] [task #6965] Submission of FIV/FIM: Fbi IMpro

From: dezperado
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6965] Submission of FIV/FIM: Fbi IMproVed
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:32:09 +0000

Hi Patrick!

 I am reading [http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html] to learn about
the GPLv3. I discovered one potential problem to licensing this software under
the GPLv3 (as I would wish).

Currently, the original 'fbi'[1] code, upon 'fim/fiv' is based, is GPLv2.

I modified some original 'fbi' files, and I distribute them in this
software.

So, I argue, I cannot upgrade my whole fim/fiv program to GPLv3, but I have
to keep GPLv2 (with the new address), right ?

I'll post the 'updated' tarball to the tracker as soon as you indicate me the
right licensing.

Currently, I posted an 'old-addressed' tarball.
Please consider I'll change the FSF address when the correct license is
decided.

Another issue are the doctags.c and vim2html.pl files, which were taken from
the Vim distribution as part of the Vim documentation build programs. Here
they serve as helper programs building the documentation. The Vim
documentation says Vim is 'GPL compatible' , so this shouldn't be a problem.
Even for the GPLv3, as Vim is not GPLv2, but 'Charityware'.

Hope my considerations are correct..

ciao

[1] fbi is a software homed at [http://linux.bytesex.org/fbida/]

(file #13378)