[Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:36:32 +0000

> Note that (some) GNU packages don't include (c) notices
> at all in their README files.

Maybe it depends on the size of the README. If the file is too small it can't
really be deemed "copyrightable" :)

> the docs are also under GPL, mainly for reasons of brevity
> (the GFDL is longer than the README)

OK. For a manual we require that it'd be available at least under the GFDL
:)

> I've asked address@hidden about the year ranges ;
> for now I've left them.

Apparently you don't trust maintain.texi this much. I guess I won't
complain.

There's a last point to check: as I mentioned one point of using the full GNU
GPL header is to specify the GPL version.

In your source, I see alternatively no version, or version 2 only. I cannot
determine whether you did so willingly or whether this is an oversight, so
I'm asking you :)

We consider licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you
agree to license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be important for
all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3. If you don't put this in the
files now, the only way to port your program to GPL v3 would be to ask each
and every copyright holder, and that may be very difficult.