[Savannah-register-public] [task #5853] Submission of Mobile Gnutella Cl

From: Stephan Peijnik
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5853] Submission of Mobile Gnutella Client
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:23:50 +0200

             Assigned to:                    None => sp

I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah. I have
noticed a few problems whilst evaluating your submission. Descriptions of
these problems can be found below.

First of all, your project requires proprietary software and cannot be hosted
on Savannah for this reason.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers writing Free
Software that can be used without the need to ask permission from a
proprietary software vendor.

If, someday, you get free of those dependencies (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/java for more information), do not hesitate to
resubmit your project.

However, if you used another programming language and/or programming
enviroment which is free (as in freedom) you are welcome to re-submit your
project. We will then reconsider adding your project to Savannah.

Secondly, your project is not part of the GNU project, so we cannot accept
its current type.  We want to maintain the distinction between 'GNU'
and'non-GNU' projects.  If your project is approved for inclusion into
Savannah, we will set it's type to 'non-GNU'.

If your project is accepted into the GNU project you may change its type.
You can do this by asking us.

As a note, chances of a project that depends on proprietary software to run
and/or build being made a part of the GNU project is pretty non-existant. You
might want to read the document at
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Ethical-and-Philosophical-Consideration.html,
which contains some general information on ethical and philosophical
considerations regarding Free Software and the GNU project.

I'm afraid we will have to reject your project for inclusion in Savannah for
now. If you do however, at any time, change your runtime/build enviroment to
a free (as in freedom) one, by, for example, switching the programming
language, we would welcome you to re-submit your project. Also, if you find a
free J2ME implementation, which I was not able to find, we would also happily
like to reconsider adding your project to Savannah.

I hope the text above explains everything and helps you understand why we had
to reject your project.

Regards.