[Savannah-register-public] [task #5567] Submission of The New Advanced P

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5567] Submission of The New Advanced Puzzle Generation Proje
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 04:49:06 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8567>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  The New Advanced Puzzle Generation Proje

System Group Name:
-----------------
  advpuzgen

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  The projects main purpose is to explore new ways of generating the same old
puzzles, and new puzzles that have arrised over the years, but have not
recieved large amounts of programming attention. The puzzle named Sudoku has
dominated the puzzle programming niche for a while now, but I hope to make a
program capable of generating more than just Sudokus. examples of low
attention puzzles include Devide By Squares
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_by_Squares), Hashiwokakero,
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashiwokakero), and Light Up
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Up), Although there are certainly more.

I wish to start the project with some discussion with puzzle solvers that I
can get to join our mailing list on Sudoku puzzles. Although I mentioned that
Sudokus are not the primary interest of the project, their ease of use and
widely available documentation make them a great start. In particular, I have
noticed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuDoku#Construction) that computer
generated puzzles tend to be fairly random, un-uniform, and boring. I hope to
approach this by making a Sudoku puzzle generator that takes into account
particular patterns of the squares, and symmetry, in order to make an
asthetically pleasing puzzle.

As well as generating puzzles, I hope to find new methods of rating their
difficulty. Typical methods for Sudokus would be examing the difficulty of
techniques needed to solve the puzzle, but I want to do it a different way.
Although this would be hard to do without intervieiwing people, I wish to
simulate what goes on in a persons head, and the relitive difficulty of doing
things. Mazes, for example, could be run be an influence map. Most begginner
and intermediate maze solvers don't use advanced solving methods like
Cul-du-Sac, they simply walk randomly through a maze, with a bias against
going places they have been, and a bias towoards going in the general
direction of the end-point. Doing several trials such as this may provide an
accurrate difficulty rating of the maze for the general public.

This project has not been started yet, it does not have any source code. I'm
hoping to attract both developers and puzzle solvers for discussion before
code is made.

The main point of the project is to explore the less-explored areas of
computer puzzle programming, such as the generation of typically man-made
puzzles, and advanced simulation of the mind when doing difficulty ratings.

Other Software Required:
  The program is likely to use C++, and thus will depend on a C++ compiler.
It will also use Python as the main language and will need the python
interpretter. For C++, the project will depend on Boost. I doubt anything
other than the standard library will be needed for Python (although pyparsing
may be required for configuration files).

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5567>