[Savannah-register-public] [task #5494] Submission of Computer Control a

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5494] Submission of Computer Control and Communication; Netw
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:23:48 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8500>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Computer Control and Communication; Netw

System Group Name:
-----------------
  c3ns

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  C3NS (Computer Control and Communication; Network System) is a PHP based
small business solution, effectively a suite of management tools and web
applications for use in small business.  The system will be modular and
designed to be implemented in a manner that is scalable and allows for
redundancy.

This project is basically a layer to be placed on top of popular GNU
applications pre-configured for small business, the best way to describe it
would be a heavily integrated combination of Webmin and a group ware package
with number of network management systems bolted on. These are all systems
that I have implemented over the last 5 years in multi platform environments.

Current status of this project is that it is a collection of documents and
system designs that I have used in the past with no code that is directly
tied to this project, current activity is the production of a project roadmap
and a project aims document, with an intention of getting community feedback
and volunteer support and then publishing a fuller specification.

Project home page will be http://www.ictsc.org/c3ns - but this is not yet
operational

The major functions of this suite will be;

System Management
Communications Tools
Productivity Tools
Security Suite

A basic installation will include the core PHP components as well as
configuration for the stable servers required by C3NT.  An incomplete list of
major server components that will be manageable or come with standard
configurations are;

Apache
PHP4+
MySQL
Cyrus IMAP
Postfix
IPTables

The intention is to provide;
1) a package that can be installed on a Server running Debian Stable that
will create a fully integrated and secure small business environment.
2) A CD Based distribution with only the required software installed, managed
by web interface and capable of being used on very low end hardware.

Other Software Required:
  None

Other Comments:
  The goal is to use no software or libraries that is outside of the Debian
stable & testing repositories.  However we do intend to make it possible for
other developers to provide a Win32 client for the NMS element.  (We don't
use and don't have a windows environment (and don't want for that matter) to
develop against so we are not going to do it)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5494>