[Savannah-register-public] [task #4862] Submission of Gnu Forensic Zip

From: Rob J Meijer
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4862] Submission of Gnu Forensic Zip
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:22:49 +0100

I have recently moved out all the openssl code and as you requested am now
working to get stuff working using gnutls for the x509/p12 stuff.
It seems to be moving into the right direction, but I have not yet completed
the efford. I've already replaced the sha1/md5 parts used by my code by
libgcrypt, but the x509/p12 is work in progress.

With respect to the name 'Gnu Forensic Zip', maybe for the time being it
could be changed to 'Generic Forensic Zip', that way I could call the tool
'gfzip' and give the files the extention '.gfz', and these would remain if my
code gets upto the standards required to be accepted as a gnu project.

Further I have descidded to take out the idea of taking care of mountability
in this project. The third part, that was defined as the NBD based server may
come in a later 'gfzip-utils' project, but in order to cleanly define the
boundaries of this project, I think that keeping this project to just the
tool and the library would be best. That way I could keep the descission of
using NBD, or other teqniques like kernel modules, fuse modules etc that may
have issues being part of a gnu based project concerned with them outside of
the core project I think.

There is no more openssl in the code at this moment, but the code does not
yet now again compile to a working tool. I hope you could wait a litle longer
for me to be able to get the code to again compile to a usable be it alpha
grade tool in order to suply you with the requested updated tarbal.
If you prefer I could also just now fix the licence notes and make a tarbal
now from the not yet working code?

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4862>