[Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative

From: Sergio López
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative Development
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:36:28 +0200

As you probably know, the Hurd is composed by 3 components (GNU Mach, Glibc
and the Hurd itself) that need to properly comunicate between them. To do
this, they use a common interface, and this means that if you change
something in any of those components 1) you must also change the others 2)
Your changes will render the entire package incompatible with previous
versions.

Alfred is complaining to me about not sending more patches to bug-hurd, but
he doesn't know how difficult is to generate a patch that can be used by a
user when you've already changed the interface. He's also bravely announcing
_his_ (please note this) branch, but he perfecly knows that is not possible
to apply changes that change the interface (that could render the entire
package incompatible).

It's easy to say "the patches will enter when they're stable", so I must do
all the work of design, programming and testing before they can enter into a
CVS? It's a _huge_ task!

Anyway, Sebastian, I don't want that get into trouble. If you think this
thing is getting too hard, please close the registration (I'll try to open
the project elsewhere, where no one complains about it :-).

Thanks for your time!

P.D: The unreleased code is the one related with this
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2005-07/msg00278.html . I can't
make a proper "diff" because I need to reimplement it in a clean tree before
:-/

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4564>