[Savannah-register-public] [task #4461] Submission of libcc

From: Björn Lindström
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4461] Submission of libcc
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:09:24 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7835>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  libcc

Full Name:
----------
  libcc

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  Other

Other License:
--------------
  We haven't decided on a licensing scheme yet.

Since we feel that this is exactly the kind of library that it would benefit
the movement if it were included even in proprietary software, we will
probably use a BSD license.

We might go with a dual license, BSD and GPL, though, more as a statement of
support for the GPL than anything else, if the FSF thinks that's a good idea.

------------
  The purpose of this project is to create a library that will handle metadata
of the type that is used to represent for instance Creative Commons licenses
in music files, image files, web pages, &c.

We will then create bindings for this library, which we will call libcc, in
various languages.

ccpublisher (http://creativecommons.org/tools/ccpublisher) will be adapted to
use this library, and we will try to submit support for it for as many
relevant libraries as possible, for instance libsndfile, libogg and various
free image file format libraries.

This project represents one of the first steps towards building a community of
developers working on support for licensing metadata in media files and on the
web.

There's no code yet, but the project is pretty much aimed at breaking out the
actual metadata handling of ccpublisher and putting it into a

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  The idea is to make a maximally portable C library, so there should hardly
be any depencies to speak about.

Hopefully the only dependency will be a working gcc, or if we feel like being
really good, any ANSI C compiler.

Other Comments:
  If you need any clarifications, you can ask 'bkhl' on freenode, as well as
mail me via this thing.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4461>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/