[Savannah-register-public] [task #4411] Submission of giFTstep

From: William Cahill
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4411] Submission of giFTstep
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:07:01 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7802>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  giftstep

Full Name:
----------
  giFTstep

Type:
-----
  Official GNU software

License:
--------
  Other

Other License:
--------------
  GNU GPL v2 without the "later version option".  Considering that a newer
version is in the pipeline, I'd like to read it before releasing source under
its terms.

------------
  Current source (mostly feature complete, as far as my planned initial
release, but still has sporadic bugs I'd like to squash):
http://thuhfreak.isa-geek.com/giFTstep.tar.bz2

I'm aware that my copyright notices are not all there, and one or two are
inconsistent.  Before I import into cvs, I intend to fix and unify those.
I'll probably have to include a LICENSE file with the full text of the GPL as
well.  I intend to release on the GPLv2 explicitly, instead of with the 'later
version option'.

giFTstep is a front end for the giFT p2p daemon (http://gift.sf.net).
giFTstep provides a GNUstep interface over that extremely versatile backend.
Effectively, it allows a user to search on the gnutella, FastTrack, OpenFT (a
protocol created by the gift developers) and other networks.  giFTstep
presently offers search and download capabilities.  One of the greatest
benefits, though I'll need to provide more documentation on this, is the
interface is quite configurable, thanks to the Rensaissance framework.  The
interface is based around two main tables, and all of the columns can be
swapped out, many more can be swapped in, and their order is not important in
code.  The menus are quite configurable as well.  And, nearly all of these
configurations of the UI are possible without a re-compile (again, thanks to
Renaissance).

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  libFoundation/gnustep-base
gnustep-back-arts (gnustep-back-xlib also compiles, but loses some features)
gnustep-gui
libRenaissance
libgift (usually packaged with gift daemon)
Objective-C compiler (GNU Compiler Collection version works, but objc is often
not included by default on GNU/Linux systems)

Other Comments:
  Perhaps of interest to this site, I'm also looking to register at
sourceforge, and maintain releases on both sites.  This site will probably
house my main cvs tree though (assuming registration goes ok :)).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4411>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/