[Savannah-register-public] [task #3757] Submission of OpenPOS

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #3757] Submission of OpenPOS
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:26:13 +0000

         Should Start On:                         => Fri 02/18/2005 at 00:00
   Should be Finished on:                         => Fri 02/18/2005 at 00:00
             Assigned to:                    None => Beuc

Savannah's mission is to host free software projects, and we want the public
to think of them as free software projects. A project name that says "open"
will tend to lead people to think of the project as "open source" instead of
"free software".

We would be glad if you accept to use "free" instead of "open" in your
project name.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software that is
not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty close to
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood. For more information, please
see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

For this reason, you must determine whether your project can run on a Free
Software Java suite (see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more
information).

We recommend you to test your project using GCJ and GNU Classpath, and ensure
that your Java code runs on this Free Software Java suite.

GCJ is the GNU Compiler for Java, part of the GCC (GNU Compiler Collection).
The Classpath project aims to develop a free and portable implementation of
the Java API (the classes in the 'java' package).

More information is available at http://gcc.gnu.org/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/.

Please provide us with more information about this point.

Since you still are in design phase, we recommand to develop it using free
technologies from the start. You may be interested in reading "Free But
Shackled" http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

This item URL is:

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3757>