[Savannah-register-public] RE: [task #3659] Submission of The FreeType P

From: Turner, David
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] RE: [task #3659] Submission of The FreeType Project
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:19:44 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if the following disclaimer to be used at the top
of all FreeType header files would be sufficient:

------------------------cut here----------------------------------
/* Copyright (C) 1996-2005 David Turner, Werner Lemberg...
 *
 * This file is part of FreeType 2.
 *
 * FreeType 2 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
 * the terms of EITHER ONE of these two licenses:
 *
 *  - the FreeType License version 1.1 or above (BSD-like)
 *  - the GNU GPL (see below)
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
 * ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *
 * "GNU GPL" refers to version 2 of the GNU General Public License as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation, or (at your option) any later
 * version. You should have received a copy of this license with this library;
 * if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place
 * - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 *
 * For any questions, read: http://www.freetype.org/licenses.html.
 */

The idea is that we do not want to scare too many people by putting
references to the GNU GPL in the header (you wouldn't believe the number
of people who do not understand the dual-licensing :-), nor put something
too long.

By the way, we'll need to contact all copyright holders to perform the
change. I'm mainly thinking about the code for the 'type42' driver here.

Of course, this is based on the idea that the FreeType license is not
GPL-compatible. If you really believe it is indeed compatible, we could
simplify this statement even more...

Regards,

- David Turner