Re: [savannah-help-public] Need some help about "Submission of Extendabl

From: Gao Xiang
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Need some help about "Submission of Extendable Read-Only File System"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:36:40 +0800

Hi,

On 2018/6/9 13:04, Gao Xiang wrote:
3) Use a license compatible with the GNU GPL, and use the "or any later version" formulation in your license notices. --- We used "GPLv2" but we use "GPLv2+" license now, and make a valid copy COPYING in the source code tar, but I think it would be a part of GNU/Linux kernel in the future, the license will be shown at the main directory of the GNU/Linux kernel...

The Submission of EROFS project seems to have been stalled on point "3)".
https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14945

I think our project should be valid to be licensed under GPLv2+.
Because I noticed the orinoco driver, laptopkernel, coold, qvm86, openvortex are really hosted at Savannah for many years, it also has dependency on the Linux kernel, and now I am trying to do the same thing.
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/orinoco/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/laptopkernel/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/coold/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/qvm86/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvortex/

It seems that "or later" part has almost certainly been there since GPLv2 days, and the license of orinoco has been "GNU General Public License V2 or later"
https://web.archive.org/web/20030728154209/http://savannah.nongnu.org:80/projects/orinoco/

Furthermore, I don't see any change on that point with the release of GPLv3+, the orinoco driver and more should have been required to have "or later" too.

That makes me confused since that makes a difference between orinoco, ... and our project.

Thanks,
Gao Xiang