Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109423] Non-BMP characters truncate comm

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109423] Non-BMP characters truncate comments
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 00:30:42 -0700

Ineiev wrote:
> The question is what to do. we could wait for MySQL or store new messages
> in something like base64, with a magic prefix.

Upgrading quickly is problematic.  And trying to upgrade just the
database system and not the clients is also problematic.  Or perhaps
the reverse if that is the problem.  At least not without testing.  In
another set of systems I tried upgrading just half of things and then
the clients and server were out of sync with options they were trying
to pass.  It caused a lot of problems.

How much of a problem is this?  Can we scan the data before storing it
and detect when we will have the problem and then encode it then?

Bob